All Church Services and Social Meetings are currently cancelled due to the Corona Virus Pandemic
Service sheets have been produced by the Methodist Church and will be provided each week on this site.
We are encouraging chapels to use this at the same time as their chapel service would have been on Sunday
so that we feel that we are still worshipping together, although not physically being together.
About Launceston and the Central Methodist Church
Launceston, the ancient capital and gateway to Cornwall sits astride the A30 in the agricultural heart of the Westcountry being one mile from the Devon and Cornwall border.
It is an area of considerable beauty and charm with easy access to both the North and South Coasts of the peninsular as well as to the cities of Exeter, Plymouth and Truro.
Dating back to Celtic times Launceston is the only walled town in Cornwall and is steeped in history being dominated by its Castle built by Brian de Bretagne the first Norman Earl of Cornwall in the 11th Century.
Launceston Central Methodist Church is part of the Launceston Area Methodist Circuit which surrounds the town stretching from over the Devon Border to the edge of Bodmin Moor and is organised so as to care and support the full range and life of the church. The Church Council (Trustees) consists of representatives who are elected from the church membership and a number of representatives from the various church committees and other organisations.
The strong tradition of Methodism in Cornwall and the Westcountry is represented by the Launceston Area Methodist Churches circuit, which has 17 Churches served by two clergy, a Children & Families Worker, a youth worker and a circuit administrator.
To find the Launceston Central Methodist Church from the main A30 road take the exit at the Pennygillam junction and follow the signs for the Launceston town centre. Follow the main road, bearing left into St. Thomas Road at the junction by the Town Hall and opposite the castle.
After approximately 500 metres take the first turning on the right into Dockacre Road. Take the next turning on the right into Tower Street. This road is quite steep. On the left, as the road bends sharply to the right, there is a car park and at the top of the road (Castle Street) is the Central Methodist Church.
Car parking is also available on the road (only on Sunday) and in another car park to the right by the Church. Central is also in easy walking distance from the Launceston town centre.
Local Methodist History: John Wesley started a small group in Launceston in the mid 18th Century. Our current buildings were constructed between 1860 and 1890. The Central congregation is an amalgamation of the Wesley Methodist Church, the Tower Street Methodist Church, and most recently the St Stephens Methodist Church.